Sunday 24 January 2010

I may be a "blow-in" but I love this town

Driving "over the top" from Penzance to St Ives always gives me that feeling that I'm in the most beautiful place in the world. Particularly on a glorious day like today, nothing beats that view of the early morning sun shining on St Micheal's Mount. Making that journey this morning, that incredible view looking out from the layby at Castle Gate had me humming The Carpenters's Top of the World at full volume and feeling even more excited than usual.
Because yesterday, my partner, Andy, and I had an offer accepted on a house in Penzance. We're finally buying a place, getting the cats and the chickens, and settling down. And I don't wish to jinx it, but there's nowhere on this earth that I'd rather be.
Today was a brilliant example of just what we've got here. The day started with a rather strange and stilted interview with MP Andrew George and former BBC correspondent and independent MP Martin Bell, of white suit fame, at the Tregenna Castle Hotel. While both were more than pleasant, I couldn't help but wonder why exactly Mr Bell was here. His interest in ridding politics of sleaze is more than apparent but his interest in West Cornwall was nowhere to be found.
I returned to Penzance feeling like I needed to seize the remains of the day. He might not realise why this part of the world was so special, even looking out across St Ives Bay from that beautiful hotel, but I certainly did. So I badgered Andy to join me in a little trip to Sennen where I squeezed into my wetsuit and, body board in hand, ran into the sea. The feeling was amazing. Lying on the board, waiting for a wave, I almost had to pinch myself to appreciate just how lucky I was to be there.
We followed it up with tea with friends Nick and Jacqui in Sancreed - friends who have been lovely to us since we moved here - followed by a walk with their three boys. Again, looking across from Sancreed Beacon to the sea, picking edible plants, making whistles and chatting, I was again struck by what we had. This place has so much to offer. I know I'm not the only one to realise this. And I've not even started on all the backstreet bits of Penzance, the bars, the cafes and the people, that have made me feel so welcome.
The day ended back at home, on our one little sofa in our rather bare living room, with a fantastic drop of Sicilian red, and a small toast to what we hope will be our new home. There's still a long way to go, as there always is with these things, but fingers crossed we'll have made this wonderful town our permanent home by summer. And I can't wait. I may be a "blow-in" from Devon, but Penzance is now my home, our home, and I couldn't be more excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment